Monday, April 28, 2014

My First 5k

One of my New Years Resolutions was to run some 5k's and 10k's this year.  I never would have ever thought that running would be something on my resolutions list.  I used to be the person who said, if you saw me running, you better run too, because something bad is happening to make me run. Ha.  I have since changed my mind.  I ran my first long distance in October of last year in the throws of my weight loss journey.  I had no idea how fit I was getting cardiovascular wise, but 1 hour a day on an elliptical for a month had really done wonders.  I was able to run 4 miles, only taking a couple of walking breaks.  The next time I ran  I didn't walk at all.  I have ran 6 mile runs without walking.  It became a time for me, where I was just concentrating on the music in my ears and releasing stress.

I decided my first 5k experience should be fun and not a serious race.  I signed up for the Color Me Rad 5k.  I was supposed to run it with my husband, but he had to go away for training that weekend, so I gave his spot to a friend of mine from church named Melissa.  We were perfect running partners because she is short like me.  Our strides matched and we pretty much kept the same pace.  I was so glad that she came out to run with me.  My friend Danielle ran it with her husband... she is a good 5 inches taller than me so she was KILLING it.  She ran the 5k about 2 minutes faster than Melissa and I did.

All in all, it was fun.  I want to do some more fun races, but my next run is a 10k on the morning of the 4th of July.  I have never run 6.2 miles so I am hoping that I can conquer it.  Usually by the end of my 6 mile runs I am ready to stop running, so adding 2 tenths of a mile onto that run seems so daunting, but I know I can do it.

One thing I made sure to go out and purchase after this run was some running tights.  My loose fitting pants are annoying to run in... so I will be good to go for the 10k.

What are you doing to stay fit and have fun?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was awesome! I bet you feel great after the run!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to add your thoughts to this post!