Monday, April 22, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Balls - Recipe

It is a lot more difficult finding time to blog than I thought it would be.  I have so much happening with class right now.  Tests and papers are due left and right.  I am actually procrastinating on putting some finishing touches on my research paper to blog this.

So far I have lost 3 lbs after one week of changing what I put into my body.  I have so many recipes to share, and they will be geared toward the busy mom who wants to make some healthy changes.  I mentioned the water and I hope you all have begun to take hydration seriously.  It's so vital to your metabolism.  I am on day 12 of hydration and I feel a lot better for it.

The recipe I am going to share is actually a recipe that an instagram friend posted, but I tweaked it a bit.  Breast cancer runs in my family and I have to be extra careful with consuming phytoestrogens, which means that I try not to consume a lot of soy or flax seed.  This recipe orignially calls for a 1/2 cup of flax seed... but since it has phytoestrogen I changed the recipe to include a little bit more oatmeal and a tablespoon of chia seed, which is as benifitial as flax seed, only it doesn't contain the phytoestrogen.

WHAT YOU NEED:

1 1/2 cup of organic rolled oats.
1 Tbsp chia seeds (I use black chia seeds)
1/2 cup of organic or all natural peanut butter (any "nut" butter will do)
1/3 cup of local honey (you can use processed honey, but the local honey has health benefits)
1/4 cup of organic semi-sweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together all ingredients until they are well incorporated.  If you like the sweet and salty taste feel free to add a pinch of salt.  Get a small cookie dough scoop and roll into balls and place in a container.  Then place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to firm them up.



These are great for a quick snack or breakfast.  They take the place of pop tarts for my kids.  They love them.

See you in a little while with more recipes:
Coming soon...
Quick and Yummy Chicken Fajitas... Tabouleh... Pesto Whole Wheat Pasta... Coconut Lemon Breakfast bars.

Happy Healthy Eating... and "Eat like your life depends on it, because it does."

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how it would be without the seeds? I cannot have seeds or solid nuts (in other words, I can eat peanut butter but not peanuts) for health reasons, but I would like to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to add your thoughts to this post!